DC-CAR Forum

Alles zum Modellautobau mit dem DC-Car Decoder
Aktuelle Zeit: Donnerstag 28. März 2024, 09:47

Alle Zeiten sind UTC + 1 Stunde

Autor Nachricht
 Betreff des Beitrags: Alan in USA syas HELLO
BeitragVerfasst: Samstag 20. August 2016, 21:47 

I do not read or speak German so I have many problems in learning all about DC Car.

Claus was kind enough to setup my membership for me but again all in German.

If I use a translator I can now read the good information but I it will not allow me to post and ask questions. HELP!!

I would like to make a test track first before I put in many more roads.

I would like use the magnetic strips but only can find 1/2" wide. I can cut it down to 2 or 3 mm wide but will it work??

If I understand all I need to do is place IR emitters around my roads and have them connected to my own DCC booster?? Is this correct?

I hope to be able to learn much even with language barrier.

Thank you

Alan

Betreff des Beitrags: Re: Alan in USA syas HELLO
BeitragVerfasst: Sonntag 21. August 2016, 10:00 

Hi Alan,

Welcome to the DCCar forum. My English is not the best at all but I guess I can help you.

If you can cut the magnet stripes down to 3 mm it may not be sure that their magnetic polarity is the right one. I suggest to simply try it out but I think that you'll be rather unsatisfied.

Placing IR-LEDs around the roads connecting them to your own DCC-Booster will work. BUT:

-The vehicles have to be very close (less than 2") for a good capture of the DCC-signal.
-You have to place numerous IR-Emitters in strategic places as close as possible to the vehicels.
-There is another way:

Connecting a DCCar-Booster to your own DCC-Command station or booster will increase the range of capture by at least 15 ft. Including a TSOP7000 in each vehicle (this is a need by using the DCCar-Booster), you will be able to minimise the number of emitters to less strategic places on your layout with some more distance. This is much more comfortable.
It is even possible to reduce the number of IR-LEDs using an IR-Beamer if there is no covered areas like tunnels.

Hoping to be helpful with this, let me wish you success and happyness with your new hobby.

Ben

BeitragVerfasst: Sonntag 21. August 2016, 11:38 

Hello Alan, welcome! Sorry, i can not give you any information ebaut magnetic strips. I am driving on wire. But someone must be able to help you. From witch part of US you are?

regards Reinhold

BeitragVerfasst: Sonntag 21. August 2016, 15:15 

Ben and Reinhold,

Thank you very much for your posting and the good information. I am located in Dallas, Texas.

If I use wire then what type and size. Wire is plentiful here. All kinds.

Mouser and Digikey are two very large electronic parts distributors very close to me. Do you have part numbers doe the IR emitters?

I will order a DCCar Booster and have fun with it.

What is an IR Beamer? Here in the US we call a BMW car a Beamer!

Thank you

Alan

BeitragVerfasst: Montag 22. August 2016, 08:33 

Hi Alan,

If you want to use wire, so any Fe-wire about 0.5 - 0.75 mm will do the job. BUT:

-Iron will turn into rust if it is exposed to moisture (using plaster to fill the gap provides enough moisture to start the rust)
-The wire MUST be placed neatly underneath the steering-magnet and does not allow some 'paving' since the magnet will loose contact and the vehicle will take an unwanted route to nowhere or even quit the layout... Some people are happy with this method, I was not.
-By using magnet tape you will be able too raise the vehicels steering magnet just a little higher (0.5 - 1 mm), avoiding any contact with the road surface. The very ugly scratches by touching steering lever will be avoided too.

Testing both alternatives was helpful in deciding, what method I wanted to apply. It's up to you!

A IR-Beamer is a cluster of IR-LEDs enclosed in a housing providing a IR-beam or IR-light cone like a bulb.

Before testing electronic components by Digikey or Mouser, I highly recommend starting with original components to ensure success and happiness with your new hobby. After you'll have acquired some experience, you'll see what items you may replace by other brands...

Have a nice day!

Ben

BeitragVerfasst: Samstag 27. August 2016, 15:01 

Thank you Ben for your inputs. I have taken the magnet tape I have and cut it down to a narrow width, routed out a slot for the tape to mount in so it is flush with the top of my roadbed. I then placed a very thin piece of plastic over this. Appears to function well!

As I enjoy operating my equipment rather then having a PC control things I have taken a different approach to this. I soon as I get things to a level where I can take good pictures I will post some.

Thank you everyone for your guidance.

Alan

BeitragVerfasst: Montag 29. August 2016, 00:05 

Hello
For basic information look this:

http://dc-car.de/wiki_en/index.php?title=Mainpage-US

The Reseller can help:
http://www.modellautobahnen.de/handel/

DC-Car-Reseller USA und Kanada
Thomas Kapatelis
Email: miniaturemotorworks @ gmail.com
miniaturemotorworksllc.com
DC-Car.us

MiniatuurA Niederlande
Jan Heimensen
Hoornweg 7
3881 NK Putten
Email: info @ miniatuura.nl
www.miniatuura.nl
www.dc-car.nl

DC-Car-WIKI Das Lexikon zu DC-Car.
www.modellautobahnen.de
Material für Car-Systeme www.dc-car-shop.de DC-Car seit 2005

BeitragVerfasst: Donnerstag 18. Oktober 2018, 20:32 

Hello Everyone,
I must reintroduce myself as much has happened since I joined the forum. We decided to move from Dallas, TX to Minnesota to be closer to our grand children. I am also retired and have much time to play with grand children and DCCar! After moving into our new house I started having problems with my eyes. After a few operations I am good now and have 20/20 vision.
I did order and receive the DCCar booster and one of the decoders to learn with.

Right now i would like to make a bus as it will have lots of room to start and I can learn with it also. I have a couple of 3D printers and a laser cutter so i would like to make my own chassis and use a manufactured body.

What is a typical gear ratio for a HO size bus? 1:35? I like to run slow but steady.

Before my eye problem I purchased some 1/2" wide magnetic tape and cut it to 3mm wide. Routed out a slot in 5mm thick wood and pushed the tape into the slot then covered it with plastic. It seemed to work well on a wooden chassis with a magnet mounted. Not a real good test.

Good to be back.

Regards - Alan

BeitragVerfasst: Samstag 10. November 2018, 16:51 
Site Admin

Hi Alan,
nice to hear "you are back again" !!

We use self-developed gears to drive our cars.
1. Gear called GL-46 (1:46) to run trucks and buses with a wheel diameter about 1/2" and two batteries (2.4 volt)
2. Gear called GL-26 (1:26) to run trucks and buses with a wheel diameter about 1/2" and one batteries (1.2 volt)
3. Gear called GL-26 (1:26) to small cars with a wheel diameter less 1/2" and two batteries (2.4 volt)
Those gears are completely assembled and tested.
For passenger cars we have a set which contains a 6mm Motor, a worm gear 1:26, spacer, axle and tube for the axle.

Please look at:
http://dc-car.de/wiki_en/index.php?title=GL1-26-7
http://dc-car.de/wiki_en/index.php?title=GL1-46-7

Best Regards
Claus

Zum Shop http://www.shop.modellautobahnen.de/

BeitragVerfasst: Samstag 10. November 2018, 22:20 

Hello Claus,
Thank you for the welcome back. I will look at the different gear setups you have listed.
Regards
Alan

Alle Zeiten sind UTC + 1 Stunde